Swinney Recreation Center is a 1,600-seat arena in Kansas City, Missouri. Located on the campus of the University of Missouri-Kansas City, it was the home of the UMKC Kangaroos men’s basketball from 1969 to 1986, and again from 2010 to 2012. The UMKC women’s basketball team currently plays most of their home games at Swinney Recreation Center. The 2014-15 schedule shows three women’s games at Municipal Auditorium with the remainder at the SRC.
Swinney Recreation Center was originally built in 1941 as Swinney Gymnasium by what was then the University of Kansas City. It was named in honor of Edward F. Swinney, chairman of First National Bank of Kansas City (now part of Bank of America), who had donated $250,000 toward the project. Long known as “Old Swinney,” it was renamed Swinney Recreation Center after a $14.5 million addition in 1988. The facility now has five basketball/volleyball courts, four racquetball courts, a 25 meter indoor/outdoor pool, and exercise rooms.
The men’s team played at Swinney during its days as an NAIA member, and moved to Municipal Auditorium when it joined the NCAA. However, in 2010, UMKC announced that the men’s basketball team would make Swinney its primary home court. They moved back to Municipal just two years later.