Allied Stores













Image by/from Crosley Broadcasting Corporation (Defunct)

Allied Stores was a department store chain in the United States. It was founded in the 1930s as part of a general consolidation in the retail sector by B. E. Puckett. See also Associated Dry Goods. It was the successor to Hahn’s Department Stores, a holding company founded in 1928. In 1935 Hahn’s was reorganized into Allied Stores.

In 1981, Allied Stores acquired the 24-year-old retail conglomerate Garfinckel, Brooks Brothers, Miller & Rhoads, Inc. for $228 million. With that transaction they acquired 178 department stores and 48 specialty shops in 28 states. In 1986 the chain was acquired by Campeau Corporation under Canadian entrepreneur Robert Campeau. In 1988 it merged with Federated Department Stores (now known as Macy’s, Inc.), and the chains were consolidated in 1990 under the Federated name after Chapter 11 bankruptcy.


Call Now Button